This is something I wrote over the summer after a family member committed suicide. I needed a reminder today and I thought it would be nice to share…….
Trying to make sense of the senseless and just rolling through the emotional roller coaster and some random thoughts struck while I was in the shower…calling this “Some shit I’ve Learned (or am Learning)”
1. Life isn’t fair. I say that as a grateful American with hot, clean and always available water, electricity, shelter and a kick @ss military. Think of the places you could have been born….
2. There is a God and I am not It. Not going full on religious here just believe that there is “something” out there bigger than me and frankly I am thankful that I am not in charge.
3. Be kind. When you can’t be kind be quiet. The urge to be a jerk will usually pass quickly enough.
4. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger or bitter but you decide which way to go with that. Character building is a bitch.
5. Sometimes I am an @sshole. I hope that I catch this most of the time and apologize promptly…..however, if I have been an @sshole to you in the last 10 minutes or ten years, my deepest apologies.
6. I have a very thin filter and sometimes stuff comes through that I wish I could take back, I can’t though. I can also be very naive because I am a literal person and will believe someone if they tell me something regardless of how ridiculous it sounds…..this is a blessing and a curse. I am trying to look at this trait now as a child-like attribute and I have decided to embrace it for today…the alternative seems too cynical to me.
7. I know less now than I did when I was a teenager. I knew it all at 15 now I wonder about everything and I somehow recognize that as personal growth.
8. Pain is temporary, so is joy and everything else on this planet, adapt.
9. If you live life without regret then you probably didn’t take enough chances….sometimes you have to close your eyes, roll the dice and hope that you are making the right choice.
10. Have a short memory….forget the awful crap people have done or said and forgive them….if you don’t you will get bitter and it’s never better being bitter.
11. Forgive yourself and others.
12. Ask for help when you need it. Don’t expect people to read your mind or intuitively know what you need, that’s just stupid.
13. Don’t let anyone wipe their feet on you or live in your head rent free.
14. Choose happiness – you are the only person responsible for your happiness.
15. Kindness is NOT weakness.